I think my mother was more afraid of me alone on the road in the North island, than in all the wild back country of Mexico. For the South Island traverse I have company, and good company at that. I rode with a staunch League of Clevedon Wheelman – Dean (Horse) Ogilvie.
Horse, along with his personal support crew of Rebecca and family. Then high on the yellowing southern steppe we rendezvoused with the Healy’s (another Clevedon posse) who joined us on the Otago Rail Trail.
SOUTH ISLAND PLAYLIST
Selected top tracks on the road through the main land.
- Tom Waits – Diamonds on my windshield
- Peter Gabriel – With this love
- Tom Waits – Eggs and sausage
- The stone roses – Fools gold
- Carly Simon – Nobody does it better
- The handsome family – Far from any road
- Portugal the man – Feel it still
- Sufjan Stevens – Sister
- Peter Gabriel – Open
- Tom Waits – Jockey full of bourbon
- Beta band – Dry the rain
- Kings of Leon – Revelry
- Radiohead – Sceptre
- Eric Satie – Gymnopedie
- Sting – All this time